Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Water softeners

How is the resin regenerated? Is it regenerated with salt?

If it is regenerated by salt the output of the bed is going to be high in
sodium (salt). A water softener does not get rid of chlorine, unless there
is carbon in the system and it would need to be replaced on a schedule.

Sounds to me like you would be best to get the tests kits for KH, and salt,
besides the most recommended tests for ammonia, nitrite and pH. Do this
before putting anything in the water.

And yes, my answer is the same as Ingrid for what I do about my chlorine
situation, but you need to find out if it is just chlorine and not
chloramines that are in your water supply. Many cities have website on
their water treatment. ~ jan

On Sun, 25 May 2003 17:35:04 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

Hubby corrected me. Its not only a water softener, its a ion exchange resin
bed.
"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message

This is to those with water softeners.
When you by pass your machine to add water to your ponds what do you do
about the chlorine thats in the water? Do you buy that stuff for the fish
tanks and add in it?
I checked the salt level in there and it read it didn't have any, but I

also
read in the previous thread that it will take out good nutrients as well.

--
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

See my ponds and filter design: