Old 26-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Why plant tomatoes 6-8 weeks in advance?

writes:

It's not exactly "too late" if you have a long growing season. You
just won't be able to serve your own tomatoes at your 4th of July
picnic.

I smiled at this. Last year, I gave away volunteer tomato plants at the
4th of July picnic. They were most 6-8 inches tall then but produced a
good harvest for those who took them. I didn't serve tomato slices, but
served tomato plants. g

My favorite nursery is out of plants. Really! So now, my only option is
to start from seed those that I didn't get plants for, and am hoping those
that said it's too late to start from seed are mistaken for my area. I
will put the flats outside in the portable greenhouse, however, rather
than start in the house. I'll keep you posted after they start growing.
It seems as though it should work since this time last year, most of the
volunteers I gave away had not even appeared.

Glenna