Old 26-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Lisa Kanis

Default [IBC] Oleander

I also have a dwarf oleander, growing in the wrong spot, though not as big
as Jim Lewis'. By chance I wondered if it would be suited to bonsai, on the
day he posted his message here. My one worry is that the leaves won't reduce
sufficiently, but otherwise: why not try? They strike very easily, so the
roots shouldn't be a problem. Their branches tend indeed to grow long and
straight if left unpruned, but pruning just above a leaf node promptly
results in new branching. They are sappy things, so I wouldn't wire them.
They seem to need more water than the full size ones do.

My kids grew up in a garden with oleanders used as a windbreak. They were
told never ever to touch them, plus the reason why. They obeyed, probably
for the one and only time in their childhood. What is even stranger is that
they didn't kill _me_ with a couple of leaves chopped through my salad.

Lisa