Old 26-05-2003, 09:59 AM
steve Snider

Default What Fruit To Grow?

Good morning from sunny Berkshire.

We're thinking about growing some additional fruit next season and was
looking for some advice on what to grow. We've inherited
Gooseberries, Blackcurrants and Rhubarb so we thought about adding the
following:

Strawberries - Elsanta or Cambridge Favorites
any recommendations as to variety?

Raspberries - Malling Admiral & Autumn Glory?
Any better varieties?

Trees - we don't have the space for an orchard so are looking to grow
them as fans (or similar):

Cherry - Stella? From what I've read these seem to be pretty easy to
grow provided you can keep the birds off?

Apples - any recommendations on variety as there's a bewildering
number?

Peaches - rochester? I've read these can be difficult, anyone with any
experience

If anyone feels I've missed any fruit types out then any
recommendations would be gratefully received.

Anyone got any recommendations as to suppliers - I've found Ken Muir
and Keepers Nursery online (has anyone any experience of these). Any
other suggestions?

Thnanks
Steve.