Old 26-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Gareth Jones

Default Suggestions for big herbaceous plants from seed

In article , Natalie
writes
I'm looking for perennials that look good
massed and are 'big and clumpy' like geraniums or large and statuesque
like a gunnera (I do have a passion for large leaves!)
They need to be fairly fast growing and preferably not that picky on
germination (so that rules out the gunnera - I have just given up on
trying these!)

Why do they have to be from seed?

The cheapest and quickest way is find people to give you rooted cuttings.

Agreed, but most friends tend to have one or two plants that they can
spare you. I'm looking to cover most of the ground as soon as possible
so that means having tens (if not hundreds!) of plants.

Some shrubs like hebe that I propagated from the odd plant here or there
in our old house before we sold up three years ago were put into a quiet
corner of our new plot and are now at the stage where I'll be able to
take dozens of cuttings from this year. But this is a much longer
process and so I'm going to have to use the seed method to initially
cover the space. I can always clear areas from these mass plantings
later on if needed.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions so far..... keep going... going to
order soon :-)

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from