Old 26-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

In e7dd14acda071b1b7d10cd11a9e209a9@TeraNews
wrote:
can anyone suggest how to contain aphids and beetles without resorting
to using pesticides.

i don't want to massacre the bugs just move them on.

can you suggest companion plants that will attract natural predators
or that the bugs would prefer to my roses.

There are all sorts of old wives tales. My guess is that there's truth
in some of them. A few I've heard a

* Lavender
* Garlic
* Marigolds (for nematodes)
* Parsley
* Onions
* Chives
* Assorted other fragrant herbs and alliums

Most aren't repellents. They are said to confuse the predators' sense
of smell, so that the roses become 'undetectable' as food for them to
eat. Having said that, I grow lavender between my roses and the local
aphids seem to have x-ray vision :-)