Old 26-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Dean Hoffman

Default Concreteblock farming; Agriculture of the future

On 5/26/03 1:54 AM, in article , "Archimedes
Plutonium" wrote:

Dean Hoffman wrote:
(snipped what I wrote)
Well, not really. That is mostly a assumption never really tested. Of course
in the desert of say Arizona or New Mexico where water really is critical
then any and all weeds are avoided.

But starting with the Grasslands and higher water regions I suspect that
assumption is false. I have noticed, but not run a full science test, that
when you have a dry spell on these Prairie grasslands. That a plant
surrounded by black dirt with no competing weeds nearby does more
poorly than does a plant surrounded by weeds which those weeds are
kept cut and trimmed to the ground. Why that is I cannot say for sure
in that the clippings do contain moisture which perhaps gets to the
desired crop plant or whether the soil with the weed roots undisturbed
retains more moisture than the tilled and hoed ground around the
crop plant.

I would guess that from Praire Grasslands on upwards to more
watery zones, that having clipped or mowed weeds nearby a
cropplant is far better than having black soil dirt near the cropplant.
And it is undisputed that having mowed clippings near a cropplant
benefits the plant in both moisture and in nitrogen nutrients.
That is the purpose of farming the ConcreteBlock method in that the
weeds become the fertilizer. Everytime you go out and mow your lawn
and leave the grassclippings on the lawn you are fertilizing your lawn.

The ConcreteBlock will replace the tractor and all farm equipment.
And a farm will never again need to fertilize their fields. We want the
worst weeds in the world to come into our farmfields because the more
they grow is more clippings for our cropplants.
I wonder if a grasstrimmer is more efficient than a lawnmower in the use
of gasoline per acre or hectare. Of course no damage must be done to concrete
block and I am unfamilar as to whether those grass trimmers would damage
a block with their plastic or metal wire. Something I would have to research
and a trimmer would be easier to go between block. What I do is line the
block into a row where one block touches another and it is easy for my
lawnmower to hug the outside wall and run straight down the row.

But I daresay that once the tomato plants are tall and vigorous that it will
be almost difficult to run the lawnmower down there. Worst yet for the
watermelon.
The whole point of ConcreteBlock Farming is to get rid of tractors and all
petrol
powered equipment. To use weeds and grass as fertilizer and so never again do
you need to buy any chemicals.

The ConcreteBlock becomes the Order for the farm instead of the tractor being
the Order. Instead of getting a field black soil with no plants except your
monoculture one plant, here we want weeds and grasses. We do not care what
weeds and grasses come. Send us your very worst weeds because we mow them
down and throw them onto our cropplant to utilize their moisture and
fertilizer

content.

In our ConcreteBlock farming we produce all Organic food, the best food in the
world that you do not even have to wash but eat right off the cob. And our
ConcreteBlock farming loses no soil to the Mississippi River Basin such that
after 20 or 30 generations of farming the old petrol based way has all of its
topsoil way down into the Gulf Ocean basin. We do not poison any of our
land with chemicals, our food is Organic and chemical free and we lose no
topsoil. In fact, we gain in topsoil every year from the soil blown in from
the

farmers due north and west of our farmland. So as they lose their topsoil
every

year we gain it and gradually our farm becomes a hill. We lose no topsoil
because our ground is never exposed to the wind and rain that all petrol based
farming does.

Our farm cannot be big as the petrol based farmers because we have to mow
the weeds every summer so we cannot take care of thousands of acres but
100 acres is all we can manage. But that is okay because we are guardians
of the land who produce pure fresh safe organic food, we are not the strippers
of the topsoil that fills the Gulf Ocean floor.

Archimedes Plutonium,

of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

My previous comments cut.

Think legumes inter-planted with the other crop. I don't think you'd
gain anything by letting weeds grow. That's just recycling nutrients at
best.
Ridge till and no till farming helps hold moisture and soil in place.
That's about the same as letting grass or weed clippings protect the soil.
Early tractor drawn equipment was just horse drawn stuff with a different
hitch. Old time farmers cultivated the weeds to kill them.

Dean