Old 26-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Glenna Rose

Default trapped skunk

writes:
OK, well, I had some havahart traps in the yard to catch and relocate some
chipmunks, but I've ended up with a skunk in one. Any thoughts on how to
safely relocate a skunk without getting, well, skunked? I'm imagining
perhaps some kind of heavy tarp thrown onto the trap, wrap the sucker up,
put it into a giant rubbermaid container, then put it in the car and drive
it somewhere, then somehow try to release it without getting sprayed....

I hope you have a good supply of tomatoes and tomato juice on hand! I
understand that is the only real de-odorizer. Unfortunately when my
little sister went to pet the pretty black and white kitty, we didn't know
that; fortunately, she didn't get the full blast which would have been
far, far worse.

Actually, that you have skunks is a good thing though maybe not not so
good in a cage. Around here (southwest Washington), we used to have many
skunks and would see them by the road quite often. However, the possums
have managed to take over their habitat so skunks are a rarity to see (or
smell) now. Really quite sad. Between skunks and possums, I prefer the
skunks. Possums are such nasty things. One was in the chicken house last
weekend; I managed to get it trapped in a huge flower pot, of all things,
and braced it good until a neighbor was able to come over and help get it
into a trap. The next morning it went on a field trip, to a field near
the lake and was, hopefully, dinner for a bald eagle or a hawk. However,
had it been a skunk in the chicken house, I'd have steered clear of it. g

Glenna