Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Timothy

Default scotch broom--to plant or not to plant?

On Sun, 25 May 2003 22:03:49 -0700, Lil wrote:

About a year ago, we picked up a scotch broom cheap at Target because it's
so pretty and smelled nice. The tag said it liked it moist so I thought
it would be ideal for the spot in the garden that gets pretty wet during
the winter.

While doing research on other plants, I discovered that Scotch broom
infestation is a major problem in certain parts of Northern California,
Oregon, British Columbia and even Australia.

So the question is, is it REALLY an invasive plant and is it SO bad
environmentally that I should yank it out?

Here in Washington state it is a bad problem. The problem is not the
growth of the plant, but the seeding of it. Seeing that it's part of the
pea family, it seems to attract birds who eat and redistribute the seeds
and around here, those seeds take root. There are quite a few folks around
here who have problems with the pollen also.
My personal opinion, they look nice when in bloom and they look like a
dog's breakfast the rest of the time.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com