Old 26-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default New use for String Algae!

John Rutz wrote:

GrampysGurl wrote:

I had huge quantities of the stuff a while back, and was throwing it
on the
ground--its amazing how after it dries, there's nothing left to it in
the
way of weight; it gets as thin as a sheet of paper. I even joked to
my wife
the chinese could have used it as paper instead of whatever they
invented.
But mine got so white, it was kind of unsightly--too bad you can't
stew it

one of us a couple years ago figured a way to make paper out
out of it,
anyone remember the method??

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

I make paper quite often. You can do it with a blender.
Simply put the dried algae into the blender along with some
shredded paper (no newspaper) with a few cups of warm water.
Blend it until it looks like mush - then pour it onto a
deckle (a screen than has been mounted onto a wooden frame).
Press this with a sponge to absorb most of the water and
to flatten the pulp. Peel it off the screen and press it
with an iron or simply let it air dry. I want to try using
water hyacinth leaves this year. They are really fibrous
and I think they'd make great paper.
--
Bonnie
NJ