Old 26-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Serena Blanchflower

Default Beehive Compost Bin

On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:17:24 +0100, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

I'm sure that I have seen a compost bin somewhere that builds up in layers,
like each level of the 'hive' stacks on top of the previous one. Now I only
seem to be able to see one that has a removeable bottom slat. Has anyone
else seen the stackable sort or even, know where I can get one?

Mine is stackable, but the bottom tier has a removeable bottom slat. I
think that most of them are designed to be stackable, you don't have to
get the compost out through the bottom if you don't want to.

They are actually quite easy to make. A friend made mine for me for
about half the price of a bought one (even when I had paid for his
time). If you do this, you can tailor it to your exact requirements. I
took the design from the literature for a commercially produced one -
you could also use the design for a WBC hive. Come to that, you might
be able to buy a second hand WBC and then use the outer boxes to make
the compost bin.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)