Old 26-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default trapped skunk

From: (Hillary Israeli)
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 8:10 AM
OK, well, I had some havahart traps in the yard to catch and relocate some
chipmunks, but I've ended up with a skunk in one. Any thoughts on how to
safely relocate a skunk without getting, well, skunked? I'm imagining
perhaps some kind of heavy tarp thrown onto the trap, wrap the sucker up,
put it into a giant rubbermaid container, then put it in the car and drive
it somewhere, then somehow try to release it without getting sprayed....

It's memorial day of course so I can't reach our local wildlife rehab
people or anyone else really. The cops were not helpful at all

Thanks for any tips!

-h.

Nocturnal animals will very often fall sound asleep in traps in the daytime.
If you can throw a tarp over the trap and gently open the door (and then run),
the skunk will probably just mosey on out without making a stink about it. ;-

I assume you don't really want to relocate the skunk. They're important
scavengers in areas where very few of those are left. Anyway, if this is a
female she very likely has a den full of kits this time of year.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa