Old 26-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Serena Blanchflower

Default Beehive Compost Bin

On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:33:30 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Hang about and you'll be able to get one for nothing.

But there's no reason why a national type wouldn't do, a tad small but all
hives are small for compost.

The reason I was suggesting a WBC hive in particular is the "cute
factor". They are the hives that people think of when they want a
pretty beehive in the garden; even if they aren't the hives you want to
use for actual beekeeping.

Some years ago at my local association's annual bee auction, old WBCs
were going for surprising sums for use as garden ornaments. They were
quite often fetching more than good quality modern hives. I was quite
tempted to get one, just to wind up a neighbour who had taken exception
to my bees being in the garden. She would have been round to complain
about the bees causing a nuisance PDQ - even though there wouldn't have
been any bees in it! Sadly, the prices were a bit too high for me.

You've given me an idea - I have a stack of broods and supers doing nothing
now that I've given up beekeeping, I was wondering what to do with them.

No, I shan't use them for compost but for growing potatoes.

I wish I'd thought of doing something like that with my old hives (jumbo
langstroths). I got almost nothing for them at the auction!
--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)