Old 26-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Sacha

Default Plant at Beth Chatto's. ID please

in article , Geoff P at
wrote on 26/5/03 10:07 pm:

You don't mean Cerinthe purpurescens do you? I agree that Beth Chatto's
gardens are completely fantastic. She demonstrates which plants that grow
in the conditions where they will thrive. I try to go at least once a year.

Steph Power

"Sacha" wrote in message
We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden

there
was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high, growing in

fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked remarkably like
young Eucalyptus leaves. The flowers were in what I suppose would be

called
racemes (long and narrowing, anyway) and were purplish.
For anyone who hasn't been to this garden - GO! It's one of the most
interesting and most satisfying I've been to. The plant sales area is
extensive, though it is pricey. But we bought quite a few things we

either
didn't have or have lost and had a really lovely morning.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

No, we know and grow Cerinthe. This was much shorter and the leaves are
punctured by the stem growing right through the middle of them, just like
some young Eucalypts.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)