Old 26-05-2003, 10:56 PM
J&K Copeland

Default How do I remove and replace the lawnmower blade?

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
When I try to turn the bolt, the blade turns with it. I'm sure there's a
simple way, but I haven't figured it out.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Buy and air compressor. Doesn't have to be a 7 HP monster, in fact, a 1 HP
with a 20 gallon tank has served me well for 25 years now. (Used for
everything from blowing dust off the lawnmower, to blowing up kids swimming
pools to airing up automobile tires, an air compressor is not indispensable
to a home owner, but it's towards the top of the list.)

Buy a 1/2" drive impact wrench and a cheap set of impact sockets. (Go cheap
unless you think you're going in the tire changing business).

Turn the mower on it's side.

I'd disconnect the spark plug, but I'm a worry worth. I've never seen a
mower fire without the deadman's switch engaged.

Dribble some penetrating oil on the bolt head.

Wait 15 minutes.

!Bet that impact wrench will spin off that bolt in less than two seconds.
That's how they take them off in the lawnmower shops.

BTW, if the blade is REALLY beat up, buy a new one. They don't cost that
much.

I always balance my blades. I don't think it's necessary to balance a
blade, but it seems to reduce vibration. They sell a cheap (a couple of
bucks) little item in the auto parts store that works fine for balancing
mower blades. (My mower deck has three blades, and it really helps with
them)

James......