Old 26-05-2003, 11:20 PM
JETman

Default Where to find day laborers in Austin?

Spam-A-Ram-A wrote:

Uh, just what is *your* lineage, mr. "jet"?

European? Did your folks come over on a boat? Did they go through Ellis
Island?

African? Compulsory trip to the U.S. of A., perhaps?

Your high'n'mighty attitude about "illegal activities" is complete BS.
Through the mid-1900's, it was immigrants that grew this country, and our
"doors" were wide open. So, it is only because of current "morals" on the
part of our alleged representatives (as if they actually have morals that
didn't concern making money above all else) that immigration laws are the
way they are.

The reason we have so many illegal Mexican immigrants is simple: because it
is illegal. The reason we have so many Mexican, Central & South American
immigrants is simple: because we share a border. So long as we have that
border, folks will continue to cross it. Case closed.

Believe you me, if folks could have walked here from, say, Poland at any
time after the Iron Curtain fell, they would have.

Now, I must agree with some of the other posts. These people come here
because to them the money is good. Whereas $7.50 / hour may seem like chump
change, it's much better than $7.50 / month, or zero, or being forced to
grow coca leaves and deal with the ilk of those that process them.

Yes, most of these people are hard working. And yes, they are people. This
is the true bottom line. They are fellow humans, and deserve the respect one
would give to any member of your own family.

To believe otherwise is simply letting your animal brain control you,
barking at the stranger so he doesn't come into your territory.

One other thing. Forget about the idea that we live in a democracy, unless
you consider that money, not opinion, is what matters. So long as someone
is willing to build a house and work for $whatever / hr, when "legitimate"
workers are demanding $whatever+, the person financing the building will
always go with the lesser amount.

Yes, unions had their place in time, but that time is past. They have
succumbed to rampant capitalism, as has, alas, most of our country.

You sound like an isolationist, and that is an absurd notion. We're all one
planet, and need to get along, not bicker over who is better suited to run
things. Remember, there's much more to it than just the folks who make it
here. What about the children working in the Nike factory overseas, or the
guys picking the bananas you put on your cereal? Again, they are cheaper,
so that's where the manufacturers go for their product.

So, put up or shut up. If you really feel this way about the illegal
immigrant problem, put your money where your mouth is. Don't buy the
produce from Mexico, or the shoes that were manufactured in China, or the
vodka from Poland. Just build a garden, grow your own food, mine your own
metals to fashion the tools to cut down your own wood to build your own
house. For if you partake of even one product that was not totally produced
within the confines of this country, you are just being a hypocrit.

Quite a tirade from someone that refuses to accept FACT.

Yep, the same old tired argument that defies common sense, logic, and
the REAL situation.

Now, go back to your little comfy hut in the back yard and pray that I
don't find out who your parents are, cause maybe it time fer a lickin'...

JT

"JETman" wrote in message

Libralove wrote:

in article , JETman at
wrote on 5/24/03 8:32 AM:

animaux wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2003 07:07:55 -0500, Libralove

wrote:

Well, some one has to construct those Roy Roy, Davenport Ranch,

Seven Oaks
and Bellalago homes for you rich people.

How many legals do you know will put on a roof at high noon in

mid-July here
for $7.50 an hour?

As I can clearly see, people have absolutely no compassion and I'm

slated as
that libral yanquee. Oh well. When we had our pool built, it was

Mexican
men
who broke their backs. I made sure they always had something ice

cold to
drink
and gave them all a nice sized tip at the end. They were shocked. I

'pose
us
yanqueez tip too much.

And as such, you were aiding and abetting illegal activities.

Just wtf is INS doing these days???

The INS? They are trying to keep housing construction going full blast

by
NOT stopping illegal laborers from coming here to build our houses.

Housing
construction is about the only healthy part of the US economy right now.

If they stop them, US housing construction comes to a screeching halt.

Do
you think the fat cats in Washington and the rich here who want a

million
dollar home for $750,000. want them stopped at the border?

Only ignorant right wing middle-class people want them stopped.

Get real, dude.

And you are full of shit up to the tops of your ears.

Only in Texas and other border states is labor in the form of illegal
immigrants as rampant as here in Austin.

It is low interest rates that is driving the housing/refinance market,
not cheap labor. Cheap labor only serves the scummy contractors who
pocket the extra profit as houses are not that much cheaper here than in
other parts of the country where labor costs are much, much higher. Oh,
and while we are at it, those higher priced carpenters pay higher taxes,
have valid drivers licenses and insurance and actually contribute in
many more ways than does illegal labor.

--
Regards,

JT (Residing in Austin, Texas)

Just Tooling Down The Internet Superhighway With my G4.......