Old 27-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Chris Stewart

Default A funny thing happened to my Rhododendron

"mick" wrote in message
I have a mature rhododendron ( sp?) inherited with the house I live in.

It
must be at least 12 years old. Every year it has bloomed with giant pink
( a candy pink) flowers in May.
This year I have had three blooms and a load of what I can only describe

as
immature flower like stems . They are green, take the shape of a full

bloom
but do not unfurl into pink flowers.

The buds developed normally. It was only as they opened these green things
appeared.
Its not bud blast ( at least I dont think it is. Ive never seen anything
like it before)

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong.

Hi,
They will develop into flowers next year. You can speed up the process
by breaking off the seed head once the flowers have finished, they should
flower again the year after that. The seed heads are sticky when you try and
break them off - just at the base of the flower.

Chris S