Old 27-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Hillary Israeli

Default trapped skunk

In ,
Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

*Nocturnal animals will very often fall sound asleep in traps in the daytime.

Not this one. He was freaking out when I found him at about 8 or 9 am - I
was in fact actually worried he was going to injure himself.

*If you can throw a tarp over the trap and gently open the door (and then run),
*the skunk will probably just mosey on out without making a stink about it. ;-

Well, here's what I ended up doing:

-picking up a big plastic dropcloth and carrying it in front of me like a
shield as I approached the trap
-throwing the plastic over the trap
-covering the plastic-covered trap with a big bath towel
-carefully opening the trap
-hightailing it out of there
-checking back in an hour to confirm the skunk had skedaddled (he did).

*I assume you don't really want to relocate the skunk. They're important
*scavengers in areas where very few of those are left. Anyway, if this is a
*female she very likely has a den full of kits this time of year.

I can address this as well as the question someone else raised as to why I
wanted to relocate chipmunks. The chipmunks have destroyed two years'
worth of strawberry crops and frankly, I was hoping to get to eat a berry
or two this year! I KNOW it is the chipmunks, as I see them stealing the
berries . Now, as to the skunk - I did originally plan to relocate it
simply because I'd caught it, and because we previously had a problem with
a skunk making a den beneath our front stoop. However, I did come to my
senses and decide that the skunk was probably the only thing keeping our
vole population from totally destroying all the shrubs (instead of only
partially destroying them like they have been) and was probably also
eating some of those pesky grubs, so, you know, whatever.

BTW in case the policeman I spoke to today is reading this: I am a
veterinarian. I know what nocturnal means, I know what rabies is, and I
know that skunks lift their tails when they spray. You are still incorrect
- it would not have been appropriate to assume the skunk was sick because
it was awake, and it would really not have been wise to assume the skunk
couldn't spray (especially since his tail was curled upwards in the trap).

Sorry, just had to vent