Old 20-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Not So Good

In article ,
writes:

Although I didn't see the article(s) to which you refer, Larry, I can
imagine, based upon your saltiness, that there must have been some off the
wall statements made by the sources quoted.

Thinning of national forests to minimize high intensity forest fires has
been much in the news since last summer. Thanks to virulent attacks by
environmentalist lobbyists in congress, any effort to better manage
federal lands is dead, at least until after the November election.

The more virulent preservationists are claiming that, since only 38% of
the nation's largest fire was totally destroyed, it was really
beneficial.

At the moment, approximately 193 million acres of federal forests in the
west are in need of thinning to prevent catastrophic forest fires.
Perservationists want to reserve fire prevention efforts for areas around
their urban sprawl mountain cabins, and let the rest of it burn. With
our best fire suppression efforts, we lost 8 million acres in 2000 and
approximately the same this year.

--
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can
bribe the people with their own money."