Old 21-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Larry Harrell

Default Logging (again)

"Jerry" wrote in message ...
"Larry Harrell" wrote in message
om...
"Jerry" wrote in message

om...

Yes, a good incentive for unemployed forest service workers to get work.
Simply burn the forest and harvest the burnt timber.

USFS timber folks do not torch forests.

I'm not talking about USFS people, I'm talking timber company people. The
above statement was a general description meant to describe those working
for the logging companies.

Jerry

Then, why not thwart those attempting to use arson to harvest timber
by thinning forests at risk? And, not by giving into what they want
but, to thin in the way that most benefits our forests. Also at issue
is the real threat that our forests could be terrorist targets (perish
the thought). What kind of damage could 20 arsonists who know what
they're doing wreak upon our sickly and overstocked forests on a windy
fall day? Thinned roadside corridors should be a priority to combat
threats, both from abroad and domestically. I've been afraid to
propose the potential but, if we don't mull it over and maybe deal
with it, we may be taken by surprise.

Larry thinking outside the (tinder)box