Old 27-05-2003, 06:20 AM
hank roberts

Default Grasses to outcompete cheatgrass???

In article , Bob Weinberger
wrote:

"coyotefred" wrote in message
om...
Hello all!

Does anyone have any suggestions for grass species that can
effectively out-compete cheatgrass (bromus tectorum)?

Though not a native and somewhat coarse, Nordan Crested Wheatgrass often
works well in the conditions
you describe.

And then what?

I've also tried early burns -- but it has to be before the cheat seed
is viable. I tried this slightly too late on a mountain site in N. Ca.
coast range (on a very damp evening with a rain front coming in across
the valley toward me).

Watching a slow fire work across a field infested with cheatgrass is an
astonishing experience -- the flame is almost invisible in the dry
cheat, but it crackles fiercely. Behind the advancing line of flame is
a smooth, soot-blackened surface -- covered with small, green
cheatgrass seeds.

I could almost hear them saying "Oh, THANK YOU."

Now Im trying "flame weeding" -- big propane torch ("Red Dragon" brand)
early enough, if I can manage to get there at the right time, so when I
wave it across the cheat it puffs steam, turns brilliant green as the
cells break open -- and in a few hours, falls over. But it's got to be
early, early, early.

Now, about Nordan Crested Wheatgrass -- what eats it? What happens if
it does outcompete cheat? What does it do versus later native
perennials on the same soil, does it leave enough moisture for them?