Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Joe

Default Using Kitty Litter in the Garden

Hmmmm. A cat lover is easily identified, non?

I have proferred what I think is an excellent solution (see post below)
to the issue of wandering neighbourhood cats.

I object to cats being on MY property uninvited. I control where my dog
goes, so cat owners can damned well control the movement of their pets.
All they have to do is keep them in at night - the useless animals do
nothing but sleep all bloody day, then rampage through the other peoples
gardens at night, peeing, depositing turds, howling and then taking up
valuable space in newsgroups.

The damage done to wildlife in this country by cats, and I don't just
mean feral cats, is nothing short of terrifying.

Cats can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! Was that a bit strong?

And BTW, Andrew, if a child choked on a Teddy Bear eye, those particular
Teddy Bears would be taken off the shelves. Actually, it happens quite a
bit, but things do get fixed - check the product recall notices in your
local paper, or CHOICE magazine - the problem is that the cat problem
*PERSISTS*.

Andrew G wrote:
"Jock" wrote in message

Oh Please!

Well you were asking for it

Tell that to the native animals they eat and tell that to the
kids that dig up cat faeces in their sandpits and tell that to the neice

of

mine whose beloved family pet swiped her eyeball out of a fascination with
random acts of violence.

Yeah it can happen, the killing of native animals, the digging up of cat
faeces. But it's hardly the cats fault, but rather irresponisble owners.
Sorry to hear about your niece, but whether it's a cat/dog/snake, having any
pet could have it's dangers.
Not saying your niece harmed the cat in anyway for it to scratch, it may
well have been playing, but a swipe from a cat taking out an eyeball is
hardly any reason to hate them all.

That cat's in a better place now too. Buy a teddy
bear.

And if a child choked on the eyeball of a teddy bar would a cull of all
teddybears fix the problem?

They don't need feeding and you can rely on them to do nothing
spiteful, dirty or contrived. Cats are bludgers on the kind humans of

this

world such as yourself.

And narrowmindedness has even more harmful effect on this world. I'm no cat
lover, or dog lover. I had a bird, but it escaped. That's enough for me, as
other than that bird I'm not really a pet person.
I only found out recently my girlfriend is expecting in December, so maybe
when our baby grows up there will be pets.
As I said, it's the owners that make the difference, not the pets.

In regard to the OP question. I would be very careful of using it near
edible plants such as your vege garden. I know my mum used to always throw
the cat litter under the camellias at her place. They are still alive and
hasn't harmed them. But then I don't think it was a large amout as I
remember her always scooping out the poos and putting them in a bag for the
bin, and putting the litter outside in the sun to help it dry a little to
get more use.
Just don't pile it on one area, rotate it, and try not have too much in the
compost.

Jock