Old 27-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default trapped skunk

Pat Meadows said:

I've no tips in particular, but I don't understand why you'd
want to relocate chipmunks. Maybe you have a cat who is
catching them?

Oh, I can explain that...
A population explosion that involves chipmunks undermining brick walkways,
undermining mature peonies (etc.) and driving out the red squirrels.

When we first moved here we had red squirrels and fox squirrels. Then, out
of nowhere (it seemed) we had a population explosion of chipmunks and no
more red squirrels. I trapped and moved the chipmunks, and the red squirrels
are back. (Red squirrels are roughly chipmunk sized and chipmunk-manic, but
don't live in burrows. If you've ever seen one chasing a much, much bigger
fox squirrel, you'd admire them, too!)

I can understand not wanting a skunk around if you have dogs
who are apt to be sprayed.

Do skunks eat things in gardens? I've never had any trouble
with them, in spite of living in skunk-territory many years.

About all they do that might be annoying is to tear up lawns to get
grubs. And they do most of their work in areas where the lawn is
very weak from grub feeding ('cause that's where the grubs are).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)