Old 27-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Andrew G

Default Using Kitty Litter in the Garden

"Joe" wrote in message
Hmmmm. A cat lover is easily identified, non?

You lost me there? You mean I am one? Nope, not here. Not 'cos they are a
cat, but a pet that I don't have time for.

I have proferred what I think is an excellent solution (see post below)
to the issue of wandering neighbourhood cats.

I object to cats being on MY property uninvited. I control where my dog
goes, so cat owners can damned well control the movement of their pets.

Exactly what I was saying. It's the owners responsibility.
I've thrown large crackers at cats in the backyard, as I have to dogs. They
never come back though :-)

All they have to do is keep them in at night - the useless animals do
nothing but sleep all bloody day, then rampage through the other peoples
gardens at night, peeing, depositing turds, howling and then taking up
valuable space in newsgroups.

Ok, let me stoop to levels of sterotyping dogs then.
If a firecracker, bakcfire or siren goes off around here then one dog will
start all the others in the neighbourhood. That is no different than cats
howling.

The damage done to wildlife in this country by cats, and I don't just
mean feral cats, is nothing short of terrifying.

They do, agreed. Irresponsible owners. But there is a problem not far from
here of dogs attacking Koalas, so it's not just cats.
The problem of wild dogs near here at Hallidays point is pretty bad. A mate
had his dog attacked a few times. Not that long ago when just out of school
a local sales manager at a new development paid us to cull wild dogs. I now
work on that development, but still you see the occasional mauled native
animal from a wild dog.

Cats can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Since you are a dog owner, and the third I have heard of to carry on like
that about cats v's dogs, should I stereotype all dog owners into that
group? No, not right is it?

Wow! Was that a bit strong?

Doesn't phase me. Say what you like as far as I care.
I'll just stick with my argument that any introduced species can do damage,
it's just a matter of what the owners are like.
A quick example was the story of a guy I knew who took a disliking to a cat
visiting at night as it would make his dog bark. Quite often his dog would
get out of the backyard during the day and roam the neighbourhood. Anyway
using a simple method he poisoned the cat.
About 8months later he come to work devasted. His dog had been poisoned, as
a note was found in his letterbox stating something along the lines of "told
you to keep your dog in". His dog dead in the backyard.
Now it's pretty sad if you ask me that it happened. To the dog, and cat. I
Couldn't care less about the irresponsible owners.
But let me guess. You can see that the dog owner was the victim here, and
serves the cat right?

And BTW, Andrew, if a child choked on a Teddy Bear eye, those particular
Teddy Bears would be taken off the shelves.

Ok then, perhaps a newborn gets suffocated by a teddybear in it's cot, even
though the bear is not meant to be near the kid (due to age restricitons and
that it's bad anyway).
Ahhh, it doesn't matter. Point I'm trying to make is cos a cat scratches an
eye does it mean they are all bad? Perhaps if I were to be bitten by a dog,
do I hate them all?
Tell me why, if a cat scratches or attacks a kid, do these 2 particular dog
owners I know go on with "bloody useless dangerous cats" etc?
BUT, if a dog attacks a child, do these same people go on with "oh, that
child must have harmed it" or "it was only defending it's territory".
As I said in my OP, I'm not a cat lover, or dog lover, just not really into
owning those sorts of pets. But I find this "cats v's dogs, I hate cats but
love dogs" arguments that come up quite amusing.

Actually, it happens quite a
bit, but things do get fixed - check the product recall notices in your
local paper, or CHOICE magazine - the problem is that the cat problem
*PERSISTS*.

Yeah I know the recalls you mean. I used a bad example.