Old 27-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Lawn Striper: The Maiden Voyage (update)

On Mon, 26 May 2003 14:46:27 -0500, "Rick and Dana Siekmann"
wrote:

Frogleg,

I raised my mower deck to 3 1/4 inches, added weight to the roller, and cut
again today. The roller is right around 14-15 pounds, about 2/3 full of
sand. The striping effect is definitely more noticeable than it was after
my first attempt. The weight/drag on the mower is definitely more noticeable
too, but it's manageable. (Forearms get a good workout.) Still, I don't
think I want any more weight than that. Again, maneuverability was not a
problem, but I did frame the yard first w/o the striper attached. (It
really does detach/reattach pretty easily.)

The striping effect lasted about 3-4 days. Like I said before, the angle of
the sun does make a big difference. Cutting across my previous stripes I
can see a faint checkerboard pattern. Don't know if continued cross cuts
will enhance this effect or not. Since I can't walk in a straight line, I
doubt if I could match my own pattern anyway. Next time I'll probably try
some curves and diagonals to see how I do there.

Still not perfect, but it does make cutting the grass a little more
interesting.

3-4 days sounds pretty good. And anything that makes lawn-mowing more
interesting is worth a try. :-) Do try diagonals. I think the pattern
looks awfully classy.

The next test will be how "manageable" this seems in mid-July. OTOH,
it could be more entertaining than a couple of hours at the gym.