Old 27-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Chris Norton

Default radical acer pruning?

On Sat, 24 May 2003 21:03:09 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

I have a small-leaved (green leaved) acer. It is too big at about 10+ft.

Initial plans were to completely remove it, but I wondered, suppose I
radically cut it back to just a few stumps? Will it regrow new smaller
branches or is this a waste of time? The bottom of the tree is probably
about 9 inches across and it splits after a few feet to several substantial
branches.

What I want is something about 5ft tall, lots of foliage, and many slim
branches.

Could try it. However, I would cover any wound with a cut paste to
keep the moisture in. Also, I tend to keep at least one good branch to
try and ensure the whole trees survival.