Old 27-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Peter Ashby

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article ,
"Michael Saunby" wrote:

However I'm still far from convinced that pesticide residues are harmful to
people. The same arguments took place many decades ago over DDT. Those
who were most determined to get it banned recognised that the surest was to
get a ban was to persuade the public it was harmful to them. It was a
dangerous game to play, because it wasn't directly harmful but it was
clearly being used in such a way as to harm many ecosystems. There will
comes a time when we have to make decisions to protect the environment that
will present dangers to people, so it's about time we all started to grow
up. If a thing is bad, it isn't necessarily bad for people, and if a thing
is sometimes bad for people (wolves?) then it isn't always bad. I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife - I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things better
for people, because they probably won't.

Well said. You may be interested to know that in New Zealand the
Department of Conservation (affectionatly known as Doc) is a great and
avid user of roundup. They use it to clear persistent plant invaders so
that native plants and animals can get a fair crack of the whip.

Speaking of things toxic they have just announced that they have
rendered Campbell Island (Sth of NZ, sub antarctic), free of rats for
the first time in 200 years by dropping rat poison from helicopters.
this is very good news for the nesting seabirds and should see the
return of some species who had to be removed to predator free islands
for their own survival. toxins can be our friends too.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.