Old 27-05-2003, 03:32 PM
paghat

Default iddy biddy fern lookin' thing

In article 1053999635.870670@yasure, "Valkyrie" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
I have both Blechnum penne-marina, & Cotula (Leptinella) squalida. The B.
penne-marina is slow-spreading tremendously beautiful & hardy evergreen
fern. Mine spread enough that I divided it once, but it would take forever
to become a groundcover.

My balcony has become quite shaded so I'm evolving to ferns and more shade
plants. Do you have a picture of B. penne-marina on your web site? Did you
buy it around here or mail order. I think this may be on my new list of
'wanna haves'.

Here's a pictu
http://www.paghat.com/waterfern.html

-paggers

C. squalida is sold as "Brass Buttons" because it has teency yellow-green
button-flowers. Its chief trait is it looks like an ultra-miniature fern.

I can't remember mine ever having teency button flowers which is why I
didn't think "Brass Buttons" was what I had. But the picture in the
Heronswood catalog looks like what I had in my garden in Seattle. The pot my
witch hazel tree is in is about 14" across so I just need a little dab to
get started. I think it will look good. I'll get on the phone and start
calling places. The big problem with mail order is that I hate to pay double
the plant price in shipping and handling because I only want one item.

I like Brass Buttons but it's nothin' compared to the glorious miniature
true fern B. penne-marina. However, a pot of B. penne-marina can be bloody
expensive, more than a whole flat of Brass Buttons.

BUT, you only need one B. penne-marina and I don't have room for a flat of
anything anyway.

Val

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"