Old 25-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Bob Weinberger

Default Not So Good

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
They may have bought some seedlings from private nurseries or the State
of Oregon, but I built the cone cleaning mill at the first federal
seedling nursery outside Estecada in 1976. They had some plug
greenhouses in operation at the time, but were just clearing land for
seedling production.

In the late 60s they were still tossing seeds out of airplanes or leaving
a few seed trees on ridge lines, and failing miserably at reestablishing
timber land. It sounds like you were part of their "experimental"
reforestation, based on stuff that private timber companies had been
doing for decades and the state had been doing for a few years.

The state of Oregon didn't even mandate reforestation on state lands
until 1963, and the feds were a decade behind that.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

That may have been true for some USFS Forests in Region 6, but it certainly was not the case on all
federal lands or even all USFS lands. In 1962 I worked in research in controlling vegetative
competition in plantations on the Plumas, Lassen, & Six Rivers National Forests in N. Cal.. I visited
and worked in thousands of acres of plantations, many of which were up to 10 yrs old at that time. In
1963-64 while working for the BLM on Eugene Dist., I supervised several planting contracts. I can't
remember the seedling source, but think it was either Dorena or Wind River Nursery.

Bob Weinberger