Old 27-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Theo Asir

Default Roses that Age Ugly

- petals just crisp up and blow away.

Some of the really bad ones here are New Dawn, Fairy
Aloha, Guinevere, Iceberg & Phyllis Bide.

Yep, I have some of those, and they are woofers. Phyllis is a three-day
dead head job.

My Phyllis is 3' high right now and
I already starting to see what a chore
this is gonna be!

Nice ones are Candelabra, Prairie Princess, loise odier, Darlows enigma
and most of the Austins. I guess there is an upside to the
quick shattering blooms.

Hey, how big is Darlow's Enigma going to get? It was a 4 inches last
fall and now it is 4 foot and growing inches every day. Fantastic,
interesting species-looking foliage and wicked, scary violet prickles.
What a beaut. I gotta figure out how to grow it right the first time
because that sucker isn't one you'd want to move or prune with anything
other than the loppers.

It growing like a stepped pyramid
right now. Last year it grew into a 2'
shrub. This year it sent out like 20
basals up through the middle to about
4'. It would have gone more but our
40 mph april winds knocked down the basals.

I've take pictures. Need to work on
a website this lunch hour.

--
Theo in Zone 5