Old 27-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva

Default Irony & 'Mart Roses

The last time I bought bagged roses, I made off with what was supposed
to be Granada for $4 a plant. I bought two.

Planted them in a pot, and when they bloomed, they were not Granada at
all. I happily hacked them to death, as they were also ugly and had no
scent.

Fast forward to this spring. My S&W bare root order comes (I had
placed in last September!) and I get them all into the ground. I have
high hopes for a purple and orange bed in the front.

I baby them, look at them every day, water, mound pine straw, adjust
it when it slips due to watering.

Everyone does well.

The rose Judy Garland blooms. An unpleasant flat yellow and orange, no
scent so far. It looks familiar, but I do not pursue the thought.

It took the second bloom to realize that what I have here is the same
thing I bought from the 'Mart as Granada. You know, the ones I happily
hacked to death when they were going great guns, because I was so
miffed that they were not my favorite Granada.

Shaking my head.