Old 27-05-2003, 08:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default A year old question...What's eating at my garden??

"Play4aBuck" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote in message
Have you protected thed plant with collars to eliminate the common
cutworm as the source...since they timber down plants exactly as
described.

It's the birds, I caught them in the act.

And if birds are an issue buy birdnetting and erect a frame/tent over
the garden. Will keep out birds and deter small animals.

Yes, but I have a good size garden, too big too cover all (I think), BUT I
will get some next year and just protect each individual plant. I usually
put tomatoe cages around most every plant when they are small. I do this so
I don't step on them or damage then with the hose during watering. I later
remove the cages for those plants that are not tomotoes. I will see what
the cost is.....if I can purchase a big piece cheap enough to cover the
whole garden then I would do that, other wise I will just do each plant
individually.

Henry Field's has some decently large ones, and the netting is thin
nylon, not thick plastic like others. I used this. the biggest is
26x30 or 14x75 at $35-$40 online.

http://henryfields.com/item_disp.asp?pn=09611

However, as you've found out. Having birds get inside netting and be
trapped is worse. I had one 2" flower seedling vanish, cut off at the
base. Likely a bird since I never see the squirrels on the ground out
back. So far they haven't done damage. But I know I will have to
protect stuff later. Hence having bird netting on hand.

I wonder if I place stuff out back for them to eat, will that deter
them from going after the garden or just be a neon sign for birds that
a new all-you-can buffet is in town.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)