Old 27-10-2002, 07:17 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Not So Good

In article ,
writes:

The only reason any species would go extinct would be do to its
elimination in other vast areas due to previous human activity!

Actually, most threatened and endangered species have always been
confined to a limited area. It is the wildflower only known to grow in
one small area that is in danger of extinction from wildfires. There are
rare plants, like indian pipes, that are distributed over a huge
geographic area that are in no danger of extinction even though they are
not often seen.

If the Yellowstone Park area were to go up in a Volcanic explosion it
would devestate the area for a longer period than normal becuase there
would be few species in the surrounding area to recolonize!

Yes, volcanic eruptions can be terrible. The St. Helens explosion wiped
out dozens of sensitive species. I don't know what "longer than normal"
means in the context of volcanic eruptions. Certainly the slope
stabilization and replanting efforts around St. Helens have done a lot to
help the area recover.

I wasn't aware that enough city had grown up around Yellowstone to
sterilize the surrounding countryside. I haven't been there in 40 years.
I suppose I would be shocked by the urban destruction.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc