Old 27-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:18:00 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

As a beginner I've been trying to stick to instructions for lack of
better ideas. Although I've screwed that up too..seeded viola's
outside and they never showed up. I guess as long as I know the ground
is ready I could start them inside next year. But I'd put them out
quickly when they were tiny. I mentioned in another thread that my
2week old corn seeds were 2 inches topgrowth and had 6-8" roots going
straight down. I'd be worried about hurting first growth like that
starting everything inside small cels.

Unfortunately, we haven't room for corn - I've never grown
corn, so I don't know how I would grow it.

However, I just finished reading a library book entitled
'The New Victory Garden' by Bob Thomson (one of the former
'hosts' on the PBS TV show), and he recommended starting
corn inside.

I also know some people on a mailing list who start corn
indoors - so it can certainly be done. I don't know the
details.

It really depends on where you live. I'm in Rochester NY, which is zone 5 or
6, depending on the year, luck, and who you ask. I've planted corn in
mid-May and never had a failed crop, at least not in terms of germination.
One trick is to put down black plastic on each "hill" of corn seeds, or
along the row, depending on the method you use. That'll add enough heat to
the soil to help the seeds past any nasty, wet cold spells you might have in
late May. I'm not talking about the plants being killed by frost, but
rather, the chance of the seeds rotting in cold, wet soil, as beans
sometimes will.