Old 28-10-2002, 02:24 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Logging (again)

"Bob Weinberger" wrote in message ...
"Larry Harrell" wrote in message
om...
snip
If you haven't figured it out already, the timber industry WANTS our
forests to burn. You are just playing right into their hands.

Larry, a true environmentalist

Come on Larry, that's Bullshit. The timber industry no more wants the forests to burn than you do.
There is absolutely no business motive for them to want them to burn since they know that there will
be little or no salvage occurring before the wood is so badly degraded as to be virtually worthless.
On the other hand, those timber companies that own their own timberlands adjacent to the tinderboxes
that we call National Forests very much fear fire on the federal land. They know that, no matter how
well they thin their own forests, if the wind is from the federal lands, the fire intensity can be so
great coming from the federal tinderbox that their timber will suffer significant damage.

Bob Weinberger

Not completely, Bob. Dubya and Congress will see to it that the appeal
process will change in the case of fires and bark beetles. Bravo for
stepping up and calling me on it, though. I was pushing on those culls
in the other newsgroups G.

Larry