Old 27-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

DigitalVinyl writes:

My in the groud garden has various sprouts now. However I've become
suspicious that soe of the sprouts that I thought were from my seed
may not be.

Other than long term experience--how the hell do you tell these
little guys apart? It would be great if a book showed you the
seedling stage as well as the full grown.

Let them grow a few more leaves, and they'll start to look different.
The first 2-4 leaves of most plants look a lot alike. Let them grow
for a week or two, and they should gain definition and start to look
more like their full-sized counterparts in the seed catalog pictures.

Partly it's just experience, though. With a few years under your belt,
you'll be able to recognize your common weeds more quickly.

Do carrot seedlings have long thin spikey leaves, or a 2 little/2
big leafs config (like radishes)? I've got both type coming up where
I planted carrots.

Carrots stand out because they have thin, grassy leaves at first,
unlike the wide leaves most plants start with. A carrot's later
leaves will start to look 'carroty', so then you can distinguish them
from any grass that might be coming up.

--
Aaron