Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Kingsville Repotting/Cherry Borers

Hi Ben,

I have a 15 year old japanese cherry tree. This
spring i noticed round 1/8 of an inch holes in the
trunk. Hundreds and hundreds of them. They are in a
horizontal pattern going around the trunk. Then they
go up about a half an inch to 2 inches and start again
around the trunk in a horizontal pattern

Some people after i have explained what it looks like
to them have mentioned woodpeckers.

Some people are right
Borers make round holes, yes, and many like cherry trees, but they
don't emerge in neat horizontal rows. One species of woodpecker does
this: the yellow-bellied sapsucker (sounds like an obscure insult,
doesn't it?). For pictures of the bird and the damage, see:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...icus/s._varius$media.html

I'm assuming this is an in-ground tree... repeated "drilling' by
sapsuckers can weaken the tree and lead to secondary infections.
Putting burlap or wire screen around the damaged area is supposed to
stop the bird from returning for seconds, but the damage may already
be done. A vigorous tree won't be especially bothered by one spring's
sapsucker visits.

Second question. I had a busy spring and haven't
finished all my repotting yet. I have a old
kingsville which i got early last year as stock.

Go right ahead, if the tree is vigorous otherwise. Box don't mind
considerable root reduction, I'd certainly take off 1/3 the depth from
a nursery pot. Cut into the outside edge, pulling out some of the old
roots from the perimeter. Repot shallower and wider, like a somewhat
oversized bonsai pot, or a bulb-pan. If we ever see the sun again :/
you'll want to keep it in partial shade; as long as it stays overcast
and foggy, leave it out. Be sure not to overwater.

It'll do fine.

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.
What does that say about you, she said, that you like
undressed trees. A voyeur."
-from a poem by Kay Cheever

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++