Old 28-05-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Default Some Pond Questions (Size, Care, Fish)

The best method of determining size of the pond is use salt and measure the
change in salinity. Do a google for the formula for determining size by
salt.
As for the green water, there was a thread just in the last two or three
days that gives all of the cures for green water. The one best addressed
with beer is patience. Drink the beer and wait. The water will clear.
Koi and goldfish can live off the algae growing on the side of the pond, and
the bugs that they catch, but they will also eat pelleted food and grow much
better. They also develop personalities, interacting with you as you feed.
--
RichToyBox

"Audra" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered an old cement pond on my property and I was
hoping to get a few questions answered:

1. How do I calculate the size of the pond, in gallons? Its an odd
shape, so I don't know if the typical formulas apply. Its a kidney
bean shape with sloping sides. Its about 10 feet long by 4 feet wide
by 4 feet deep. But again with the sloping walls, I have no idea if
my pond is 400 gallons, or 1400 gallons.

2. I (probably like many people given the time of year and change in
temperature) am battling algae. Its not the string kind, rather the
pea soup kind, so I can't see the rocks at the bottom anymore, and I
can't see the fish. I have heard that the quickest and easiest
fix for this is to pour some beer in the pond each week - does anyone
have any experience with this, and if it works, how much should I put
in each week?

3. I have goldfish and now recently added koi too. I was told to not
feed the goldfish, but just let them eat the hyacinth. Is this true
for the koi too, or are there some type of pellets I should be using?

Thank you so much for your time,
Audra
Sacramento, CA