Old 28-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Kingsville Repotting/Cherry Borers

They do resemble the holes in that picture. However
the actual holes are move evenly spaced apart. They
almost look man made but they arn't. Yes it is an in
the ground tree its about 80 feet tall. With about a
1 and a half foot wide trunk. The holes do not make
rows and then stop though like in the picture. They
are neatly spaced holes spanning the width around the
tree trunk in a neat line. I will take some pictures
the next day its not raining which isn't tomorrow.

No need. They're yellow-bellied sapsucker marks. NOTHING else
makes a straight line of small holes. They can "circumnavigate"
the tree, make squares with dots, or any other combo.

They seldom do any real damage, though I suppose, as an earlier
responder said, they _could_ become an avenue for an infection.
I've not heard of this happening, though, and think it is
unlikely. I have a dozen willow oaks in my pasture that have
been "punctuated" by these little fellows over the past 30 years
or so and they're as healthy as a tree can be.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++