Old 28-05-2003, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default best depth for plants only?

I am planning a separate pond for lilies and marginals only, no fish
other than maybe someting native just to eat the mosquitoes. If they
require more filtering than the plants will provide, then I'll just
use dunks. I don't want to bother with filters or pumps on this one.
How deep is just right? I am lazy, and don't want to dig more than
about two feet. Is that deep enough for some of the larger lilies? I
may put plant shelves in, since I won't have fish to protect.
TIA,
Ann

My lily pond (if you've seen it on my webpage) is formal rectangle built
for my lilies and the frogs, and only temporary holds some fantails after
the tadpoles are too large to eat, is 2 feet deep and has a 12-14" deep
shelf all along one long side. The lilies have done wonderful at that depth
(2ft), seems working a little harder to get to the top makes them produce
even bigger pads and blooms. Prior I had them only 12-14" deep on shelves
in the koi ponds. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~