Old 28-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Druss

Default slugs bait eaten...... by cats?

"andyp" wrote in message

Philippe, I have not heard of this product before but has just viewed

the
greedgardener web site.

What is the advantage over just using beer on its own?

AndyP

Well, I'm not sure, but I think the special bait is much more effective
to attract slugs and snails. I can confirm that in my garden, the trap
with beer + bait seem to get far more than the one with just beer.
having said that, it was quite expensive and as I was saying, this
"special" bait looks to me like a mix of sugar and yeast...

Philippe

That makes me think I should experiment and make my own, not sure of the
proportions but if I just added a spoonful of baking (or brewer's yeast)

in
a 2 litre bottle of water with a spoon of sugar. This would certainly me
cheaper than using beer.

AndyP

Ah well this is where you need to use a little charm and save yourself a
fortune, all pubs have to clear out their pipes on a daily basis, they
should pull through at least one pint per tap at the start of a shift, if
you ask nicely I am sure they'll let you dump this all into a bucket, or old
pop bottles and take it home, at least if you explain you want it for beer
traps they might. This is how I get my 2-4 gallons of beer a week for my
traps.
Duncan