Old 28-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Pickle

Default Dragonflies - slightly OT?

What have you got in your pond that attracts them in such abundance?

There's nothing special about the pond, we just dug it, put in some weed,
water lily, irises, marsh marigold etc and left it to do its thing.
We have had 4 species of dragonfly and 4 damselfly visit and lay eggs.
One thing I noticed last night was that the frogs seemed to know the
dragonflies were emerging, 12 of them were all sitting around the marsh
marigold stem the dragonflies were climbing up, when they had shed their
husk but were still soft the frogs were jumping up trying to get at them! By
5am when I got up to have a look they had all flown away (apart from the one
the cat sicked up)
You're right, dragonflies do look exotic, almost too beautiful to be real
I love to see them.