Old 02-11-2002, 09:05 PM
mhagen

Default redwoods

In article , foresterSPAM-
says...
POSTED IN alt.forestry

I came across the May 2002 issue of Discover magazine with an article on
coastal redwoods. It hinted that some people don't clear-cut redwoods, but
didn't really develop the idea of uneven aged mgt. as an alternative to
clearcutting. The article seemed to be written more to appeal to a logger
than a silviculturist- the sort of article often seen in Northern Logger
magazine. I think Discover magazine could have done better with this- but of
course this is the problem with media that offer quick views of complex
subjects, given the fact that Americans have short attention spans.

--
Joe Zorzin

Some companies didn't clear cut them. Pacific Lumber from Scotia, for
one didn't, until it's take over by Maxxam. Selective logging may be
coming back after all the nasty publicity. Redweeds are such prolific
stump sprouters you don't even have to replant after a partial cut.