Old 04-11-2002, 04:04 AM
Larry Stamm

Default redwoods

(Daniel B. Wheeler) writes:

Indeed. Even wind-blown redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) sprout
multiple new trees. (I knew there was something I liked about that
tree.)

Maybe it's time to increase its range a little further north,
elminating the need to reforest some of the more sensitive rainforest
areas of Oregon and southern WA? Probably won't happen: the hard
freezes we get every 100 years or so (or is that _used_ to get?) kills
the trees. (At least it _used_ to kill them...) This tree used to grow
naturally as far north as the southern side of Yaquina Bay, near
Newport, Oregon.

There are redwoods planted in the early 1900's in the Victoria, BC, area
that are about a metre in diameter now. They appear to be thriving, and
Victoria gets temperatures down to -10° C every decade or so.

Maybe the redwood is hardier than is usually thought?

--
Larry Stamm

http://www.larrystamm.com