Old 28-05-2003, 01:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

DigitalVinyl said:

My in the groud garden has various sprouts now. However I've become
suspicious that some of the sprouts that I thought were from my seed
may not be.

Other than long term experience--how the hell do you tell these little
guys apart? It would be great if a book showed you the seedling stage
as well as the full grown.

When I'm planting something that I've never planted before

For me that would be everything. I started more than I should have for
a first year, but I wanted to keep my interest up. I've got a good
30-40 different plants, buy in many cases just one or two growing. For
flowers I planted a few bunches as borders or pots for hanging. I've
got one in-the-ground area and several deep container/troughs, plus
smaller pots on the patio. Its the in the ground one that is
flourishing with what is *now* clearly a weed. New ones have popped up
above garlic, onion, and marigolds. Those plants have been up for
weeks, so I know these new guys must be some kind of weed.

what I
normally do is to plant a few seeds in a pot or plant a largish clump of
seeds and mark them with a stick. This will give me a 'sample' to
recognize.

After a while, you learn to recognize your most common weeds as seedlings.
But if you bring material (leaves, manure) onto your property you can also
bring in new and unfamiliar weeds, so there would always be a chance that
unfamiliar seedings are weeds.

basil

Little sprouts where the first seed leaves seem to almost want to
be part of a single oval, but are snipped in the middle to make a pair.

I just spotted a pair in the center of where I planted basil. They are
a darker green than the other "weeds".(yank)

nigella(love in a mist)

The two seed leaves resemble some other plants but the first true
leaf is disected/feathery. Usually a paler shade of green

I've got some cotyledon(sp?) pairs up, the simple longer ovoids, like
a pepper's. Unlike the doubles I'm seeing everywhere else (yank)

Do carrot seedlings have long thin spikey leaves

Yes, thin spikey leaves.

That's what I thought the others are weeds. (yank)

Thanks.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)