Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

Default Blooming while lily after a recent rain - zephyranthes?

Did you happen to notice what shape the foliage was? It could also be
thimbleweed aka A. cylindrica.

http://www.ncwildflower.org/plants/thimbleweed.htm

If it is zephyranthes, I've seen them sold in most of the privately owned garden
centers, or you can order bulbs. Try not to dig them out of their native
habitat. If you are caught, it is a hefty fine and you are going against
nature.

The anemone I mention will also bloom out of nowhere after a rain. They produce
millions of seeds which I collect and mix gently with coarse sand rubbing it
together in my hand to separate the seeds and broadcast. I have it everywhere
and it is a beautiful flower and the foliage disappears when major heat arrives.

Victoria

On Wed, 28 May 2003 03:10:18 GMT, Robert Wilson wrote:

After a recent respite from the dry spell, I started noticing a while
lily bloom seem to pop up out of the ground. Don't know if this was
everywhere or only where I saw it (off Old Spicewood Springs Road).

After taking a look, I decided it resembles a Zephyranthes, which I had
a pink variety of in my old garden back in New Orleans. If this is what
it is, is there a reliable source for cultivated bulbs somewhere
locally? I don't want to dig (gasp!) but would really like this in my
white garden.

Can anyone help?