Old 04-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Larry Stamm

Default redwoods

"Joe Zorzin" writes:

"Larry Stamm" wrote in message

There are redwoods planted in the early 1900's in the Victoria, BC, area
that are about a metre in diameter now. They appear to be thriving, and
Victoria gets temperatures down to -10° C every decade or so.

Maybe the redwood is hardier than is usually thought?

A lot of species will grow very nicely outside of what is considered their
"natural range". The question is, "will they adapt and 'go native'" so they
don't have to be replanted?".

Many southern species are planted and do well here in New England. I've
heard that there is a fine Baldcypress stand planted in western NY.

I wonder if foresters are experimenting with those redwoods in BC to see if
partial cutting will allow natural regeneration? Hey Larry, maybe you could
find out more and let us know.

All the redwoods on Vancouver Island that I know of are in residential
areas or botanical gardens, so I doubt that much experimenting is being
done on a commercial basis. However I have seen redwood suckers around
the bases of a few trees, so it does seem as if they might regenerate
naturally.

In the same vein, there has been some success commercially in planting
Doug fir in northern BC several hundred km north of its natural range.
In fact, Doug fir has been the saviour species on some burned over
southeast facing sites in which pine/spruce plantings had failed because
of summer heat and drought. These plantations are young, and haven't
reached commercial thinning stage yet, but they seem to be thriving. No
evidence yet of natural regeneration, as the trees have yet to produce
viable seeds.

--
Larry Stamm

http://www.larrystamm.com