Old 28-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

Pat Meadows writes:

Unfortunately, we haven't room for corn - I've never grown corn, so
I don't know how I would grow it.

It's a pretty easy one. We just dig holes about a foot apart (in rows
far enough apart to walk between) and drop three seeds in each one.
The only hard part about growing corn around here is keeping the coons
out of it.

To save space, we sometimes drop a bean seed (usually a shelling
variety) in each hole with the corn. The beans seem to like the shade
from the corn, and the corn will be gone by the time the beans are
ready to harvest. This year I used a dry bean variety that's
"semi-climbing." I didn't want to waste fence space if it didn't
really climb much, but if it does want to climb, it can climb the
corn.

Some people also plant squash, pumpkins, or other late-season vining
plants alongside their corn, and let them vine through the corn patch.
Again, the corn will be harvested before those later crops take over
the space.

--
Aaron