Old 28-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wood Lice. Friend or foe?

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| They can also damage stored fruit and vegetables though that will only
| happen if the storage area is damp as they can't survive in dry
| conditions. They will happily chew at damp newspaper so if the fruit,
| say, are wrapped in newspaper this could increase the (fairly slight)
| risk of damage.

I am not sure about this. If their mouth parts aren't powerful
enough to damage anything except the most delicate seedlings, it
seems a bit doubtful that they could cause the initial damage to
stored fruit and vegetables. They will certainly follow initial
damage caused by mice, rot or whatever, but I suspect that they
are getting blamed unfairly for being the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.