Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:28:16 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Actually this brings up a question that I've been wondering about. If
you use mulch, do you scrape it away to work the soil or work it in as
dead material? Is that what happens with the reddish mulch that you
typical see in landscaping? Speaking long term, over years, If you
always work it in, don't you end up with too much soil mounding up as
you add mulch, compost, etc. yearly?

You would then have a 'raised bed' full of crumbly, dark,
rich soil - in other words, practically perfect growing
conditions. What's the problem with that?

Well I'm a renter in this house, so I don't know if I want to start
converting their ground into raised beds. :-) I've just seen stuff
about adding compost every year and tilling under everything and now
mulching. It jus tmakes me wonder how fast decomposition can outpace
what I'm piling on. :-) But I do understand its all good for the soil

I'm already in love with raised beds, and would never go
back to anything else (except containers). The raised beds
have almost all the advantages of containers (except that
they're not movable).

From my reading this method just made so much more sense. And after
the work I did to prep the in-the-ground dirt--containers were SWEET!

In the month of May so far, we have had
six sunny days and 22 rainy, wet, overcast, or
thunderstorm-y days. Four of the six sunny days were at the
very beginning of the month. This is a bit much!

Seems to me the last time it was hot and sunny was the week when I
spent 2 days digging out the ground--first of May.

It's almost sunny today. Kinda of brightly overcast!?

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)